October 1, 2013
- Categories:Day 1: September 21
We’ve got some fantastic afternoon excursions planned for you! We’ll be sending out an email asking you to rank your preferences in an effort to match everyone with the activities they’d like to attend.
Please keep in mind that many of the excursions we have planned take place within our National Parks system. Our National Parks are currently affected by the government shutdown. We are hoping that those issues will be resolved by next week, however we are also working on some alternate excursions if our government remains in shutdown mode.
In the meantime, pick your favorites and we’ll do our best to match you with your top choices! You’ll receive an email on 10/2 with instructions for selecting your excursions.
*Note: If you would like some help on photography and DSLR basics, the sessions with the Sony Trainers would be a great fit for you!
Bodie Island Lighthouse and Pamlico Sound Sea Kayaking Safari
- Photographers: Sony Trainer (TH), Ali Edwards (F)
- Bodie Island Lighthouse
- Pamlico Sound Kayaking: Now before you get worried about big waves and the deep sea let me tell you that this is on the “sound” side of the Outer Banks. The water is relatively shallow and calm – more like a lake. There will be great opportunities to see coastal wildlife and birds. Some great photos of the area here.
Currituck Beach Lighthouse and Wild Horses
- Photographers: Tracey Clark (TH) & Kelley Miller (F)
- Currituck Beach Lighthouse
- Wild Horses: This is a 4×4 excursion through the beaches in Corolla on secluded land that is the habitat of the Colonial Spanish Mustangs.
Wright Brothers National Memorial and Jockey’s Ridge State Park
- Photographers: Me Ra Koh (TH) and Sony Trainer (F)
- Jockey’s Ridge State Park: Hangliding. Yep. We’ll be hangliding with Kitty Hawk Kites on the Jockey’s Ridge Sand Dunes. No need to worry, this is hangliding for beginners. You can learn more here.
- Wright Brothers National Memorial
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge (birdwatching photography)
- Photographers: Kelley Miller (TH) & Me Ra Koh (F)
- Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
- Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge: Birdwatching or as the cool kids say “Birding”
Elizabethan Gardens and Manteo Waterfront Food Experience, Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse
- Photographer: Ali Edwards (TH) & Tracey Clark (F)
- Elizabethan Gardens
- Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse
- Manteo Waterfront Food Experience: Craft Beer and Local Restaurants
Rainy Day Option: Project Life Workshop with Ali Edwards
- Photographer: Ali Edwards
- Hosted at the beach house